Now as a young man in my middle-20’s I don’t remember specifics. But I do remember seeing a set of “voluptuous” blondes running on to baseball fields through out the 80’s and kissing ball players on the cheek. Well, little did I know that it was all the work of one woman. A woman who was a quasi-well known celebrity of her time. A woman named Morganna, aka The Kissing Bandit.
Here’s the wikipedia article on Ms. Morganna-
Morganna Roberts is an entertainer who became known as Morganna or Morganna, the Kissing Bandit in baseball and other sports from the early 1970s through the 1980s. She was also billed as “Morganna the Wild One” when appearing as a stripper in the 1970s.
Her claim to fame is her kissing chutzpah and her large breasts. Her measurements were often reported to be 60-23-39. Other uncredited reports assess her measurements at 44-23-37. She distinguished herself from the dumb blonde stereotype with her wit as displayed during her appearances on Johnny Carson and David Letterman‘s late-night talk shows. She frequently quipped that fellow busty sex symbol Dolly Parton was “flat-chested” compared to her.
Her modus operandi was to obtain a front row seat and wear a large, bulky jacket to somewhat disguise her identity. When a particular star was on the field, she would whip off the jacket, dash onto the field wearing a T-shirt and gym shorts and plant a harmless kiss on the player’s lips, usually evoking a sheepish grin from him and an appreciative roar from the crowd. She was arrested each time, for disorderly conduct, which merely served to fuel her career and notoriety. Texas attorney Richard “Racehorse” Haynes once introduced the not entirely serious “gravity defense” for her, in which it was argued that her top-heavy condition caused her to fall over the railing and onto the field.
She appeared in Playboy magazine, in June 1983, April 1985 and September 1989. During the 1990s she occasionally kissed minor league players. Her last notable appearance before retirement was in the Farrelly brothers‘ feature film Kingpin in 1996, appearing as herself. Morganna went into retirement at the end of 1999 and now lives in Columbus, Ohio. She no longer grants interviews or does appearances.”
- Her first escapade onto the field–at the age of 24–was to kiss Pete Rose in 1971 at Riverfront Stadium on a dare from her friend. In later years, she stated, “I tell people my career started with a bet, and Pete’s ended with one.”
- One of her early conquests was Frank Howard. When she reached up to smooch the 6 foot 7 inch slugger, her miniskirt rode up, resulting in partial exposure of her buttocks.
- At the first night game by the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field, on August 8, 1988, she attempted to kiss Ryne Sandberg, but was intercepted by team security. Sandberg knocked the next pitch out of the park, to thunderous applause.
- Other recipients of Morganna’s osculatory advances include George Brett, Cal Ripken, Jr., Johnny Bench, Steve Garvey, Don Mattingly, Dickie Thon, Nolan Ryan, Steve Yeager, Len Barker, Duane Ward and Charles Barkley.
- In 1978, Morganna kissed Joe Garagiola during a taped episode of the game show To Tell the Truth as her way of being identified.
- She is married with no children.
Here’s a little YouTube clip from the show, “Tell The Truth”. Hosted by former baseball player and World Series announcer, Joe Garagiola.